Sunday, July 20, 2008

Insert crazed cursing here.

Something went horribly wrong with my Vandyke lace panel socks. Several things went horribly wrong. In fact, shy of not bursting into spontaneous combustion on my needles, everything went wrong with my socks.

I dropped a stitch or misplaced a stitch or a stitch was abducted by aliens somewhere in the lace panel. I tried to fix it, but the more I tried to fix it, the more things went horribly, horribly wrong. I cursed like a drunken, crazed sailor at a Drunken Crazed Sailor Cursing Contest. I had to resist the urge to frog the whole thing and feed the remains to any hungry moths that passed by.

You see, I don't know enough about lace to effectively fix things when they go wrong. When a stitch drops in stockinette, it's no problem, because they drop in a very predictable way. When a lace stitch drops, it does the Hokey Pokey and it turns itself around. In the end, I just pulled out a few rounds until a circle of mostly plain-looking stitches poked up and I picked them up.

Everything is fine now. I suppose the upside is that I have a little more confidence in myself to fix errors now. On the downside, I still have a lingering hatred of lace.

No comments: