Thursday, September 27, 2007

Give me a break

I had to take a break from the tweedy green socks. I think the stretchless single-ply yarn was hurting my fingers and thus slowing me down considerably. Instead, I'm now working on these:

Yarn: Some Regia 4-ply "Crazy Color" I got from a Knitting Reviewer's destash
Needles: KnitPicks 32" nickel-plated 2.5mm and Hiya Hiya 40" stainless 2.25mm
Pattern: 2X2 ribbed cuff and random garter ridges on leg (A.k.a. "Making it up as I go along")

I didn't set out to use two different needles. I started out with the 2.5mm on the cuff, got about .75" into the thing and realized that despite my earlier gauge swatch, things were going to be too loose. Being lazy as I am, I decided to switch to a 2.25mm needle to work the rest of the cuff and leg rather than frog what I'd already done. I think it's going to work out well, because the top of the cuff is loose enough that I don't have to strain the stitches when pulling the sock over my heel, and the rest of the cuff is tight enough that it won't slouch unintentionally.

No comments: